This is first yet very important stage in your hardware journey. You need to know that the product you’re planning to build is actually something people want and need.
We had many conversations with hardware creators as well as experts and they keep repeating the same thing – know your customer first before you start building. You cannot build a sustainable business with “cool features”, you need something that actually solves a problem.
Things to consider in ideation and research stage:
- What is the purpose of your product.
- What problem does it solve.
- What is the benefit of your product (a.k.a. life having your product vs. life without the product)
- What is the primary function.
- What could be other additional features.
- Who is the target audience.